Friends of the Fairfax County Animal Shelter (FFCAS) is a private, 501 (c)(3) organization, independent of the Fairfax County Government. Well over 90% of the FFCAS funding directly supports homeless animals at the Fairfax County Animal Shelter! CYA is a community chock full of kind, generous pet lovers and it is our pleasure to support this terrific organization! Please take a few minutes to read about all of the great things these folks do for the Fairfax County Animal Shelter - www.FFCAS.org
How We Help
Each year, more than 5,000 domestic animals make their way to the Fairfax County Animal Shelter. Some are strays, and other surrendered by their owners or confiscated by the county due to neglect or mistreatment.
With so many animals coming through its doors and a limited budget, the shelter has to make tough decisions about how it can provide for each animal. In some cases, this means that otherwise adoptable animals might not have a second chance if expensive medical treatments or special needs costs exceed the county budget.
This is where the Friends steps in. We raise awareness — and money — to help improve the quality of life for hundreds of loving local shelter pets.
In partnership with generous donors like you, Friends is able to:
- Provide emergency medical treatment
- Provide Parasite Prevention (flea, tick and heartworm) upon intake of cats, dogs and rabbits
- Purchase much needed equipment, supplies and pet enrichment items
- Provide additional medical tests for senior pets, and Fospice for pets
- Support the foster program by providing food, specialty supplies and other items to help loving families temporarily care for pets in their homes
- Fund additional training for shelter staff
- Support special adoption events at the shelter
- Promote and support humane trap–neuter–return (TNR) efforts to manage community cat populations
- Support pet and human victims in domestic abuse situations by providing funding to the Pet Haven Program
- Provide behavioral training, grooming and medical care to increase the adoptability of special needs shelter animals
With your help, we can continue to do wonderful things for these loving animals.
By supporting Friends, you help us in our mission to:
- Provide additional resources and aid to our local animal shelter
- Promote the adoption of homeless dogs, cats, birds, small mammals and reptiles in Fairfax County
- Educate the community on the importance of spaying and neutering pets
In addition to providing support to individual shelter animals in need, we hope to:
- Extend our reach to help a broader number of animals
- Expand our involvement in Fairfax County’s TNR program
- Help fund projects related to the shelter remodeling
- Find ways to further spay-and-neuter efforts in Fairfax County including low-cost options